Improve physical strength, stamina, better overall health & fitness and stronger mental discipline. Martial arts training can help students become well rounded, responsible and successful individuals.
Karate is a fun way for boys and girls to achieve fitness and focus. Some parents may think it can promote violence, but many experts agree that’s a myth. In reality, kids who learn self-defense become more assertive and less aggressive. The martial arts help teach self-discipline and positive socialization skills. In fact, many parents whose children have been diagnosed with ADHD or ADD report great success with martial arts training which improves self-control and concentration skills. Students are given a positive way to channel their natural energy and aggression into something safe and positive.
Above all we teach our children an important life skill, the art of self-defense. Martial arts training is a life-long and life changing positive experience. Some of the benefits your child will derive include:
- Self Defense – Practical and street-wise for any situation
- Discipline – We enforce good rules of behavior within the class. Students are encouraged to utilize their skills both at home and in the classroom.
- How to handle/deter bullying – Children today face more aggressive bullying and negative peer pressure than ever before. It’s essential they have the skills necessary to guard and protect their mental and physical well-being. Kids who know how to defend themselves usually don’t have to because they carry themselves in a more confident manner, and confidence alone is a deterrent to bullies
- Conflict resolution – Students learn when they should, and shouldn’t, use their newfound skills. The children are instructed that martial arts are not to be used for any reason other than as a last resort of self-defense.
- Peer Pressure – Students are taught to combat peer pressure by distinguishing between good and bad – right and wrong.
- Smart Choices – Avoidance of drugs and alcohol
- Greater overall health and fitness:
- Increased flexibility and strength
- Improved Hand-to-Eye coordination, balance and motor skills
- Builds mental focus and stamina
- Character Development:
- Increased sense of responsibility
- Respect for others and self
- Advance leadership skills
- Improves Self-Confidence and Self-Esteem
- Encourages self control and temper control
- Improves School Performance with:
- Increased Attention Span
- Improved listening and concentration skills
- Increase Focus
- Promotes higher levels of respect and obedient behavior. Experts say it’s the respect kids learn whether from bowing, or standing-still waiting for the next instruction, that is one of the greatest benefits. These benefits carry over into school by helping to improve behavior and even grades.
Achievement and accomplishment are rewarded with the belt ranking system which provides students a sense of achievement and accomplishment. The ranking system distinguishes proficiency and seniority; and, is a good exercise in setting and achieving goals. Parents are welcome to observe classes.
Today’s teens face more challenges than ever before. Cyber-bullying, school violence, drug and alcohol abuse, obesity and a wide array of social pressures provide an overwhelming number of challenges to the health and safety of our youth. Martial art training benefits teens in many ways and is truly the gift that keeps on giving.
Karate is known to be the ultimate system of unarmed self -defense. As a method of self-defense, Karate specializes in blocks and evasive movements, kicks, strikes, joint locks, throwing techniques and restraints. Young adults can improve their fitness levels, build self-confidence and above all – learn to effectively defend themselves. It is widely understood that teens who know how to defend themselves usually don’t have to. A self-confident attitude alone is a powerful deterrent to bullies and aggressors.
Challenging and rewarding classes offer a great workout which can enhance overall athletic ability. Our young adults enjoy a fun fitness activity where they can get encouragement and support from excellent role models and positive social interaction with their peers. Some of the added benefits of martial arts training include:
- Sharpen timing and reflexes, improves agility and balance
- Improve self control, concentration and focus
- Conflict avoidance and resolution. Learn to identify and avoid unsafe situations.
- Develop self-discipline and will power
- Foster respect for self and others, as well as, that of authority
- Cultivates character development and teaches the importance of strong values. Principles embrace the ideology of honor, respect, integrity and living a balanced life.
- Increase sense of responsibility
- How to diffuse physical and cyber bullying
- How to avoid confrontational situations
- Overcome fear and manage adrenaline
- Increase physical health and fitness
- Builds a sense of self worth, self-esteem and confidence
- Merits the value of hard work
- Develop a positive and healthy self-image
- Develop the courage to say no to unhealthy peer pressure
- Helps to instill an honorable inner compass to help as a guide during the confusing years
- Emphasizes the importance of making healthy lifestyle choices such as avoiding drugs and alcohol
By embodying these principles in our classes, our team has made a strong commitment to our young adult students. The carefully designed curriculum can improve your child’s performance in other sports, as well as, improve study habits and encourage a positive mental attitude. At York Shotokan we’re helping teenagers become well-rounded, responsible and successful individual’s one student at a time.
There is no greater skill than to know how to effectively defend yourself, and your family, in today’s world. Key mental and physical skills are essential such as knowing when, how and where to strike; while using your body to its fullest potential. Leverage and proper technique are powerful weapons and with appropriate mental and physical training our female students gain automatic defensive responses and learn how to manage fear and adrenaline. Knowing these essential survival skills lessens the threat, or fear, of attack and builds self-confidence and esteem.
Martial art training is also an ideal way for women to get in shape. Athleticism is not a requirement and we accommodate all ability levels. Our classes not only provide unrivaled self-defense skills, they provide a stress-relieving total body workout as well. Classes are designed to build strength, flexibility, balance and coordination, while improving cardiovascular fitness and toning the entire body.
The anxiety and vulnerability women report about their personal safety, or that of their children, can be as distressing as any criminal act. Here at York Shotokan Karate & Mixed Martial Arts we transition women beyond the mindset of a potential victim. We empower women to challenge and change the context in which they live. What are you waiting for? Don’t put off till tomorrow what you should have done yesterday.
At York Shotokan Karate & Mixed Martial Arts we teach the ancient art of combat. Our classes incorporate a blend of martial art styles so students are well rounded and better suited to handle the unexpected in today’s world.
Martial arts training can increase muscle definition and lower body fat which are crucial to achieving an ideal physique. Our blocking, punching and kicking drills develop core strength and promote greater flexibility.
At York Shotokan, we emphasize that a strong mind is as vital as a strong body. Developing mental clarity and a strong personal discipline allows students to embrace and control feelings of fear, frustration, anger or anxiety.
The goal of most new students is to learn how to defend themself, but with greater knowledge comes a shift in understanding that the true goal in karate training is self-mastery, including mastery of one’s inner peace. A true karate-ka is slow to anger and recognizes that walking away from a fight and other harmful influences is virtuous.
I love the man that can smile in trouble that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. It is the business of little minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles to death. — Thomas Paine
Knowing how to defend yourself has no age limit. Karate is an ageless art filled with self-defense techniques that adapt to our physical abilities and limits which evolve as we age. For that reason, it’s never too soon or too late to learn self-defense. In addition to gaining invaluable self-defense skills, martial art training is known to have many outstanding health benefits. And, the benefits are yours for the taking regardless of age, sex or physical ability.
At York Shotokan Karate & Mixed Martial Arts we recognize the healthy benefit of regular exercise and physical activity. Our classes are designed to strengthen the body and help our senior students feel better by promoting flexibility. Upper and lower body stretches and low-impact exercises keep the joints flexible and provide a gentle workout with aerobic and strengthening moves which can also help relieve arthritic pain. Our kicking exercises and drills help to keep hips and knees limber and strong. Check out the following ways martial arts can improve your life:
- Reduce and relieve stress
- Lower blood pressure
- Build cardiovascular fitness and prevent coronary heart disease
- Prevent osteoporosis
- Thwart depression and loneliness
- Prevent weight gain or help maintain weight loss
- Boost endurance
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Bolster hand/eye coordination
- Improve and increase:
- Muscle Strength
- Range of motion and limit the effects of arthritis
Join us today and begin adding healthy years to your life.